Tuesday, July 8, 2008

My little warrior is 5

Mateo's birthday is the day after Olivia's, so today my little guy turned 5! This was the first time I didn't cry when one of my kids turned 5. 5 just seems like such a big deal to me, but we were way too busy having fun today, it left no time for tears! We woke up early and after eating Trix (Mateo's pick) went to a nearby theme park. After 6 years of going as a family, I finally decided to leave 2 kids home with a babysitter. Our 3 year old is just too young and tired from yesterday to make the $30 worth it and our 10 year old daughter who has autism really really does not like being in public places and is usually pretty unhappy when we go out. So for the first time I didn't have to stand with the stroller and watch as the rest of the family went on rides, I actually got to participate! I'm not a big ride person, I get dizzy on the carousel, but I did get to go on some rides that didn't spin around and also got to go in the wave pool and down the waterslides with Mateo! We were there for 8 hours which wasn't nearly enough for the kids but plenty for me! After taking the babysitter home we had an icecream cake and opened Mateo's presents. Right now the kids are downstairs watching tv. Yesterday we went to Target with some birthday money Mateo got in the mail. He chose a dvd that had 13 episodes of superman and batman. Little did I know those original cartoons are not suited for young children. Mateo returned it to me today telling me he was giving it to Daddy because it had the "S Word" (in our house that's "stupid") and kids shouldn't say the "S Word". I felt so bad that he had spent his birthday money on it that I stopped and picked up Scooby Doo on our way home tonight and that is what they are watching right now! Mateo so fulfills the meaning of his name which is "gift of God". Not a day goes by that I am not thankful for him. He is such a tough and brave boy, but he is also my biggest cuddler. He actually told me the other day he didn't want to grow up because he doesn't want to stop being able to cuddle with me. I told him he will always be able to cuddle with me, his wife just might not like it too much! Hmmmm, I think I'm starting to understand why I sometimes sense some competition coming from my mother in law!

No comments: